The new sign looks great!
Readers, I am sad to announce that Poppy passed away today. RIP Poppy. As I had mentioned earlier this week, she hadn’t been looking all that good for the past few weeks. She was losing weight and wasn’t acting like herself. No chasing Zazzles or Terry Pete away from the watermelon and spinach treats.
I am happy to report that we were all out there with her. My Man hung the new Majestic sign, The Boy and I cleaned out the nest boxes, I refreshed the food and water holders, I clean out the coop and The Boy and I gave all the girls worms that we found in the compost hippo. Poppy’s last meal was a nice tasty fat worm.
Cleaning out the nesting boxes.
It was The Boy who noticed it first when he went in with another fat worm to give her. We are all sad but are happy that we got to spend three and half years with her. We are happy to know she lived a good life with humans around her who loved her. I am happy that her last year was in The Majestic, a nice comfortable coop. I think she enjoyed living with us and I know her best girlfriend Turbo will miss her as much as we will.
It’s chilly out there!
Open roof, needs to be covered.
It is chilly in the ATL reader’s! When I went out to let The Girls out, I found that their water dish had frozen over. The Girls seemed to have had a good night in their coop. Next week Matt, the chicken coop builder, is coming back to cover the remaining part of the roof of the run. The rain has made a mess of that part of the run and their food gets wet and gross and smelly.
The Girls also have a houseguest that just will not leave. We have all had one of those haven’t we? Ha! (Just kidding anyone who has ever visited The Hotel Yorba). Well this little guy and any of his friends need to leave. The Girls are not happy with him and his poop droppings all over their coop floor. Their poop is the only poop allowed or wanted! Matt is going to try to close up the space between the wall and the roof of the coop.
I am looking for some cool signage for the coop. I found the two above and they are only $5.00 each but the shipping is more than the signs! I just can’t get over that so I haven’t bought them yet. I have been searching Etsy for some more cool ones with cheaper shipping costs.
If you are getting slammed with snow, please stay warm and safe. If it is just darn cold like here in the ATL, stay warm! Have a wonderful weekend!
What’s Going On
Hey Reader’s! Here is a little of what has been going on here at Hotel Yorba.
- The Boy is taking the GA standardized tests this week at school. You know what that means? No homework for a week! I am so EXCITED!
- I am happy to announce that Turbo and Poppy are now walking the plank up to the coop with no supervision from me! Woot! So proud of My Girls. I also read that some chickens like pumpkin puree (also good at fighting worms), so I gave The Girls some left over that I had. Well, my hens are NOT part of the chickens who like it. Turbo took one bite was like “No Thank You”. Poppy didn’t even try it.
The Girls are not a fan.
- I am going to see the Thoracic Surgeon on October 29th, 2013. The last time I saw this doctor, we will call him Dr.P., it was not a positive exerpance. In fact, he wasted our time and money and basically pissed both me and My Man off. Things that better happen this time: Dr. P. better be positive! Better not waste my time and money (parking lot fee). Better have a date in mind to get the little (shrinking) F-ing tumor out of me!
- I have a Instagram account for all those Instagram users out there. Follow me! I am sghamer. When we go out of town for Thanksgiving, this where I will posting my pictures. I will take my laptop so I will be able to write posts but since it is my work laptop, I won’t be able to post pictures until we come back home. So follow me!
Lifetime Fish Oil
- I fell of the exercise bike wagon. Ok, this is what is up. Six months after I had my leg amputated in 2002, I fell and shattered my left knee and femur. Thanks to a wonderful surgeon and some luck, they were able to patch it back together. However, it is on borrowed time. About five or six years ago I had to get injections into my knee due to intense pain. These have worked but I would still have bad days. About a year ago I started taking fish oil pills daily and I noticed a major difference. My knee felt wonderful. I would still have bad days if I over worked it but they were few and far between. I only use one type of fish oil pills that I get from my gym. They are peppermint flavored and have no after taste what so ever. I will never change. I have taken different ones before and the after taste is DISGUSTING! Well, about a little over month ago I ran out of pills and just got a new bottle on last Thursday. My knee has been hurting for about a week now. Some days are worse than others but I am scared to do any major exercising till it starts to feel better. I am hoping the fish oil pills and the joint maintenance pills I got, will get me back in shape. Instead of biking I will hit the yoga mat!
- Breaking News! The Girls have not been using their roosting bars in their coop to sleep on at night. This has been bothering me since I think it would be cool if they did! Plus it is in their nature to want to sleep up high. So last night I went out there when it was dark and woke them up. I put Poppy up on one of the bars and I could tell she was freaked out. She soon jumped off. So I grabbed Turbo and after three tries I got her on the bar. She seemed unsure but was still on it when I locked them all up for the night. This morning I went out to open the plank door and Turbo was still up on the roosting bar! I am so proud of her! She seemed to like it up there. The only thing bad about it is that I am not sure if Poppy can jump up there due to the fact she has only one wing. I have seen her catch air in the past, so I have my fingers crossed that like walking the plank, it may take a few tires for her to get it.
What do you think? Will Poppy start roosting soon???
Happy Sunday Readers. How has your weekend been? Mine has been good so far. It rained in the ATL on Saturday but that is ok. The new landscaping her at Hotel Yorba needs the rain. Great news! For the last three nights The Girls have strutted their little chicken butts up the plank and into the coop all on their own! I am one proud mama!
Last Saturday our friends, Calanit and Alan, held their wedding reception (they got married in Israel in June) here in Atlanta. SInce I had just gotten out of the hospital a few days earlier, so we were not able to go. I just found out that in lieu of party favors, they donated money to the Sarcroma Foundation of America in my honor!?!!! How cool is that!?! Thank you guys!
How cool is that?
Pictures from this week
Simon hanging out in the tent.
What the H@!#??????
What? I can’t hear you….
First Fall Spa Dip!
I want to come in!
Reader’s! I have finally joined Pinterest. I know! I know! I am like 5 years behind but hey, I finally did it! If you are on Pinterest, please go follow me. Please understand, I have no idea what I am doing. I am just “pining” everything I like. I am making “boards” but have no idea why…organization? I am under as Shay Hamer or my email, email@example.com. I am not sure how you search for someone. So far I have two boards, “Chickens” and “Health”. I have read some interesting articles on chickens and urban chickens. Pretty cool. If you have any suggestions on what I should look at or how to get myhotelyorba.com out there, let me know!
Good day! How are you guys? I am doing ok. My Man and I had a good nights sleep thanks to RN Maggie. She was great! Very quiet. Justin said he even sleep pretty well. I have requested Maggie for tonight too. At the moment, I have having my 5th cycle of chemo. Only one more to go! That means, if all goes well, I will be going home sometime tomorrow! WOOT! WOOT! People!
We got up around 7:30am and kinda laid around. What else do you do? Around 8am I got cleaned up and into today’s PJ’s. My Man went to find a good cup of coffee and some yummy treats to share. Which was a good thing. The bagel I ordered was stale. Ick! I then got tired and slept on and off till about noon. Crazy how tired the meds they give you can make you. It’s not like I do much while I am here!
After I woke up, I talked to my Dad, who is installing a new screened in door on our screened in porch. He is also painting it red! (Thanks Dad!). The Boy was in the background giving him tips and making sure he was doing it right. Nice to know things haven’t change since I am gone. Talked to my Mom and she had been cleaning (THANK YOU) the house. She said all the kids are good but that Turbo my be going broody. She has never done this before. It is usually Poppy. It could be that they are both just hot, the weather has been crazy hot and humid here.
Tomorrow is the first day of school for The Boy. I am sad that I will miss it but happy I should be home when he gets home. I am afraid he is going to have a rude awaking when Nana Pete comes and wakes him up at 6am!
My Man and The Boy have come down for a visit. My Boy and I went for a walk around the floor and met some of the RN’s and staff. Now he is watching a movie on my iPad and My Man is on the computer. House Hunters International is on the TV. All we are missing is Panny, Simon and Timber!! I miss them all. I know that Panny would love sleeping on the bed with me. She would like it when I moved the bed up and down.
Reader’s! I hope you are havig a great day and living life large!!!
I hope you are all having a great morning. We here at Hotel Yorba are having a great day so far. We got some good news on Wednesday afternoon. Bob, our pool guy, called and told us that they were going to be able to do the pebble-tec on Thursday and Friday. They got here at 7:30am on Thursday and were done before noon on Friday. It looks great!!
My Man and I are very happy with it. Can I tell you how excited I am that we are now filling the pool with water? Can I tell you how I am not excited to get the water bill? We started filling the pool on Friday afternoon and it is still going! I think it will take till Sunday to finish the filling the pool and then we have to fill the jacuzzi. Like I said, not looking forward to the water bill.
So my big birthday is on Monday. I will be turning the big 40!! Woot! Woot! My Man gave me my gift early on Friday night. Isn’t it pretty?! Love it! It is all shiny and it sparkles. I am such a girl.
This morning we woke up early and went downtown for breakfast. We had to get to the jewelry store, Worthmore Jewelry, where My Man got the watch, so they could take some links out. While we were there, we had our rings cleaned and I gave them my older Tag to get serviced and cleaned.
While out and about, we found a bakery and bought some challah bread so that My Man and The Boy can make me french toast tomorrow morning! We also bought a loaf of olive bread. I can’t wait to dig into that! The boy also got two cookies and ate them…it was 9:45am!
Tonight my boys are taking me out to The Optimist for my birthday dinner. I will make sure to take some pictures and post them. It now 11:30am and I am going to go check on the water level of the pool and then hang out with The Girls before it starts raining. Oh! While checking out the garden yesterday, look what I found!
My first tomato of the season! Woot!
Question: What is your favorite way to eat tomatoes?
Rain. I know we need it but I have had enough! It has been raining for days. Not only that, it is cold! It is warmer in Montreal, Canada today then in the ATL. I had to turn on the heat today. I was working from home today and my hands were freezing! Plus, all this rain has put a stop to the pool renovation. My Man talked to Bob today and he said the plan was to lay the pebble-tec this Friday but due to the rain it has been pushed backed. UGH! He did say we would be swimming by Memorial Day weekend. The patio my not be resurfaced but the pool will be ready. Fingers are crossed!
The poor Girls are all wet and muddy. Their water container keeps getting full of dirty water and yesterday I had to throw away all of their food because it got all wet and gross. I want the sun out now!
We had a fund weekend. On Saturday we went to a First Communion of a friend of The Boy’s and son of our good friends. Afterwards we went back to their house for a party. We got home around 7:30 and spent the part of the evening sitting out on the porch watching the rain and listening to music.
See those lights? Got them at Target. No more “real” candles for outside. These take AA batteries. I think I will get more for outside too.
On Sunday, I went to the gym to workout and then hit the grocery store. The Boys went to go see Iron Man III. They loved it! The Boy thought it was the best one yet. There is less than three weeks of school left. I am soooo ready for school to be over. I am tired of homework. I am tired of studying for tests. I am tired of looking at grades. I am tired of waking up at 6am. I am tired of forcing The Boy to get up and dressed. I am tired.
Question: Are you ready for Summer?