Today is the day I go see Dr. P. about getting the little f@$ker out of my chest. I wouldn’t say that I am nervous about the appointment, I know the tumor has been shrinking and I have to believe that this appointment will not be a rehash of the last one. That being said, I am not my normal self this morning. I am sure I will feel better once the appointment is over and a plan is in place.
Later in the day….
OMG. OMG. What a day. My appointment was at 11:15am. My Man and I got there at 11am because they always say to get there 10 to 15 minutes early to sign in. So we did that and sat down to wait. Two hours LATER. Yes, two hours later!! We were still waiting. At this point, we were worried. The Boy gets dropped off from school at 2:55 and we needed to leave the hospital by 2:00 or 2:05. You never know what the traffic in Atlanta is going to be like and now it is after 1:15pm and we are still in the waiting room. Dr. P. didn’t even show up till after 12:30!! Where the hell was he? No idea. Anyway, we got in at 1:20pm and he came in at 1:38. I was watching that clock like a hawk. He was overly nice to us. Good. Anyway…
My surgery is set for November 6th. I go in for pre-op on the 5th. They will take blood, give me an EKG and another CT Scan. I will have a Thoracoscopy. The surgery will take 1-2 hours. It will include three small incisions on my right side. I will have a chest tube put in for drainage. If all goes well, I will be out of the hospital the next day. Total recovery is 2 to 4 weeks. Now, we want the tumor to be dead. Dead as a doornail. If it isn’t dead, there is a chance I will have to have more chemo. I am glad to have a date on the books. I am ready to get this all over and move on with my life.
My Favorite Hat
It’s Monday Reader’s!
It is a rainy, warm Monday here in the ATL. It will be in the 70’s for the next few days. I just turned on the heat! Oh well. It could be snowing. How was your weekend? Mine was good. My Man and I watched football Saturday night till all the games we cared about were done. Then we watched Big Bang Theory. That is our go to show. So funny.
Since I finally gave in and joined Pinetrest, I have been pinning like crazy. I don’t know why or how but it grabs you and won’t let go. I have ten boards so far. One (of course) is all about chickens and another all about food. I learned a lot about chickens from Pinetrest. That is where I learned how to make a healthy dirt bath for The Girls. They have yet to get into it. I may just dump the mixture onto the ground. Maybe the container is too small?
I have a gardening board where I pinned how to grow garlic. I planted about 15 bulbs on Sunday. They will be ready in the summer and I am so excited. Other easy plants to re-grow are celery, avocados and green onions. I can’t wait to give those a try. I started a Holiday board and have pinned a few things I would love to do for Christmas. I am not a crafty person at all. I tend to have these high hopes of making homemade gifts but then just give up and end up buying things. Maybe this year will be different.
My favorite scarf aka tichel designer, Sara Attali Design, has a new collection out. I love them all but have narrowed it down to three. I would love to get all of them but I am making myself wait a few days to think it over. I know I will be wearing them for the next year, so I know I will get my money worths. Plus, I love the way they look with long hair. So I can wear them for a long time! Still going to think it over though.
Question: Which scarf is your favorite?
Good Day Reader’s!
How was your Friday? Mine was good. I went into the office to do a few hours of work and then met My Man for a late lunch at a new restaurant called Common Quarter. I had their fish sandwich which was good but I would have liked a little more sauce on it. My Man had the hamburger with homemade chips. When we got there, there was a table full of ladies that were so loud. As in it hurt my ears loud! Even our waiter mentioned it. Over all the food was good, our waiter was nice and the place was pleasant (especially of the table of ladies left). We will go back and try it for dinner soon.
Last night we chilled in front of the TV waiting for the season premiere of Grim. We have been watching it since it first aired. The Boy got into it to, so we watch it as a family. There is a lot of “close your eyes!” moments and a few times, he has left the room because it was to scary for him. I am glad he knows when it is too much for him. It is funny, he remembered everything that happened last season but can’t remember what he did at school that day. I guess he has his priorities!
First Fire of the season
We had a fire for the first time this season. Simon was all over that. He loves to sit in front of the fire and get all toasty. Timber wasn’t all that interested but to be honest, I think Grim was to scary for him!
The Boy had piano/guitar this morning, so while he was getting his rock on, I went to Lowes to pick up a few things. I wanted to make a dirt bath for the girls and read on Pinerest that a mixture of sand, dirt and DE was great for hens. I had already ordered the DE so all I needed to do was get some sand and dirt.
Supplies for dirt bath
I mixed all three items together in an old, used one time, cat litter box I found in storage. I put it under the plank where the run roof is covered so it won’t get rained on. I picked up Turbo and put her in it and she promptly hopped out. Oh well. I hope they check it out.
Ready for some hens!
I also picked up three bales of pine straw to put around the coop and the area where the old coop use to be. I am never sure how many bales to get or how much will fit in my car. Turns out I could use another three bales and could have fit two more in my car. Maybe tomorrow.
I think someone is trying to hide.
Almost time for me to get my college football on. RTR!! Have a wonderful day Reader’s!!
Happy Friday Reader’s!
Puppy and one of his many balls.
So happy today is Friday. It is my favorite day of the week! I love knowing that I have two whole days where I am in charge of what I am doing, when I am getting up, when and what I will do. It is a chilly day here in the ATL. The sun is out but it is cold. I just got in playing ball with Timber and my hands are freezing. Timber loves to play ball. He loves to jump in the air and catch the ball. He loves to try to catch the ball before it hits the ground. One thing he doesn’t really love however, is giving you the ball back. He loves that dam ball. Due to this, I have to use at least two balls when I play with him. That way I always have one I can get and throw to him. Today I used four. I had that puppy running his little heart out!
Passed Out Puppy
The past few days I have been working on financial plans for work. I have been busy but I feel good about the amount of work I got done. I went into the office today and had two conference calls, finished a financial plan and caught up with my assistant. We ordered Christmas cards today! Christmas cards!! It is coming up fast.
Me and My Man in Quebec City.
I have heard from a lot of people about the great attitude I have had during the cluster f@*k I have been going through. Well, yesterday I broke a bit. I was a depressed. I am tired. Tired of being bloated and bald. Tired of being tired. What set me off was when I went to the gym to work out with SK. I was in the locker room getting ready and I saw my reflection in the mirror. You know how you feel you look like one way and then there is how you actually look? Yeah, well I did not like how I looked in the mirror yesterday. I have written before how I forget that I am bald and bloated. When I saw myself, I got really depressed. Thank goodness for SK. I told her how I was feeling and what did she do? She basically told me she was happy to se me depressed (she was getting worried I wasn’t human) and that it was ok to feel depressed. She reminded me that I will grow my hair back. I will lose these extra pounds I have packed on. She then made me hurt and sweat. It was great. I did feel a little better after the work out. But I am ready to be done with all this shit. I can’t even remember the last few months. Where did the summer go? The last thing I remember, I was in Quebec City with My Man. We had such a good time. That being said, we are already looking at places to stay when we go back next year. Yes. We are going back. We are looking to stay in a condo this time. I love going on VRBO and looking rental homes. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy and forget everything else going on. I have found a few places I love and am going to e-mail the owner about pricing and availability.
Condo In Quebec City
Condo In Quebec City
Question: What is your favorite day of they week and why?
For the last month My Man has been working from home while his office is being renovated. It has been kinda of nice having him at home during the day. He makes the coffee in the morning after dropping off to the boy to school and take breaks and does some cleaning or laundry. Tomorrow will be the last day before he heads back to his office north of us. Today we went to one of his favorite restaurants, Canoe, for lunch. We have eaten dinner there many times but never lunch.
We ordered two appetizers to share, Shrimp Spring Rolls with Cilantro and Yuzu and Canoe’s House Smoked Salmon on a Crispy Potato Cake with Vermont Goat’s Cheese. The Smoked Salmon was soooo good. I think I could have eaten two of them all by myself. The Spring Rolls were also very good but the salmon was my favorite.
For lunch both My Man and I ordered Crispy George’s Bank Cod Fish Sandwich with House Made Tartar Sauce. The sandwich was very tasty. The cod is fresh not frozen and you could tell the difference. The french fries were so good I had to force myself to stop eating them or I would have eaten all of them!
It was really nice having lunch with My Man. It is such a pretty day today and we had a good time. It is too bad he doesn’t work closer to home. We could meet for lunch much more!
What’s Going On
Hey Reader’s! Here is a little of what has been going on here at Hotel Yorba.
- The Boy is taking the GA standardized tests this week at school. You know what that means? No homework for a week! I am so EXCITED!
- I am happy to announce that Turbo and Poppy are now walking the plank up to the coop with no supervision from me! Woot! So proud of My Girls. I also read that some chickens like pumpkin puree (also good at fighting worms), so I gave The Girls some left over that I had. Well, my hens are NOT part of the chickens who like it. Turbo took one bite was like “No Thank You”. Poppy didn’t even try it.
The Girls are not a fan.
- I am going to see the Thoracic Surgeon on October 29th, 2013. The last time I saw this doctor, we will call him Dr.P., it was not a positive exerpance. In fact, he wasted our time and money and basically pissed both me and My Man off. Things that better happen this time: Dr. P. better be positive! Better not waste my time and money (parking lot fee). Better have a date in mind to get the little (shrinking) F-ing tumor out of me!
- I have a Instagram account for all those Instagram users out there. Follow me! I am sghamer. When we go out of town for Thanksgiving, this where I will posting my pictures. I will take my laptop so I will be able to write posts but since it is my work laptop, I won’t be able to post pictures until we come back home. So follow me!
Lifetime Fish Oil
- I fell of the exercise bike wagon. Ok, this is what is up. Six months after I had my leg amputated in 2002, I fell and shattered my left knee and femur. Thanks to a wonderful surgeon and some luck, they were able to patch it back together. However, it is on borrowed time. About five or six years ago I had to get injections into my knee due to intense pain. These have worked but I would still have bad days. About a year ago I started taking fish oil pills daily and I noticed a major difference. My knee felt wonderful. I would still have bad days if I over worked it but they were few and far between. I only use one type of fish oil pills that I get from my gym. They are peppermint flavored and have no after taste what so ever. I will never change. I have taken different ones before and the after taste is DISGUSTING! Well, about a little over month ago I ran out of pills and just got a new bottle on last Thursday. My knee has been hurting for about a week now. Some days are worse than others but I am scared to do any major exercising till it starts to feel better. I am hoping the fish oil pills and the joint maintenance pills I got, will get me back in shape. Instead of biking I will hit the yoga mat!
- Breaking News! The Girls have not been using their roosting bars in their coop to sleep on at night. This has been bothering me since I think it would be cool if they did! Plus it is in their nature to want to sleep up high. So last night I went out there when it was dark and woke them up. I put Poppy up on one of the bars and I could tell she was freaked out. She soon jumped off. So I grabbed Turbo and after three tries I got her on the bar. She seemed unsure but was still on it when I locked them all up for the night. This morning I went out to open the plank door and Turbo was still up on the roosting bar! I am so proud of her! She seemed to like it up there. The only thing bad about it is that I am not sure if Poppy can jump up there due to the fact she has only one wing. I have seen her catch air in the past, so I have my fingers crossed that like walking the plank, it may take a few tires for her to get it.
What do you think? Will Poppy start roosting soon???
Good Day Reader’s!
I recently posted about the website Printstagram and how I was interested in checking our their products. I decided to take the plunge and ordered two items.
First, I ordered a frame with nine of my Instagram photos. We you go in the site, you have to give them permission to access to your pictures. One issue I had, was that I was not able to place the photo’s in the order I wanted them. I would have liked the My Hotel Yorba Star in the middle. I guess if I had to pick a different one to go in the middle, it would have been The Boy looking like Chef, Richard Blais. I also would have changed the placement of The Kids. The other thing I noticed is that they cut a bit of the borders lining the photographs on the edges off. I know, not a big deal but I but I picked the framing for each picture for a reason and would have like it to show through. But over all I was very happy with my picture and it is now hanging in our master bathroom. I will probably order from them again, maybe just two or four pictures.
My other purchase was 36 notes cards for $25.00. What a deal! I am very happy with this purchase. You are able to go and pick the picture you want to use and how many you would like of it. So, some pictures I ordered four cards of, some two and some three. It doesn’t matter as long as you ended up with 36 total. The cards are a cute size, perfect for a little not to say Hi!, and the envelopes are self sealing. No licking! I will defiantly order more cards in the future and am even thinking about Christmas Gifts! Custom note cards for only $25.00! What a bargain.
*I got nothing from anyone, anywhere for writing this review. All thoughts are mine and mine alone.